I founded Forklift Training Systems in 1998, after spending a number of years working at a forklift dealership in Columbus, Ohio. At the time, most companies approached training from a generic standpoint. Many companies, including most forklift dealerships, were using video tapes as “their program.” While researching the idea for starting the company, I attended a number of local training classes. In one instance, the trainer started a video tape and left the room, in another I was asked to complete a forklift crossword puzzle, several companies passed students who clearly did not have the skills to operate a forklift and the content was so boring I had to fight to stay awake!
From those experiences I formed the principles that still guide our training today:
1) Great training starts with great instructors who are excited about what they are doing, knowledgeable about what they are teaching and have a commitment to keeping people safe. Some companies believe that an instructor is not necessary or that you can complete forklift training “online” and do it well. We respectfully disagree.
2) Great training means using materials that are current, realistic, interesting and that not just educate, but convince people to make changes and to work safely.
3) Great training is not easy and can’t be “one size fits all.” Generic programs may work for some types of safety training, but not with powered equipment. Time and effort is needed to determine the needs of each company, their application, their equipment and their unique strengths and weaknesses.
We are a small, privately owned company with a clearly defined market niche. To best describe our company it may be easiest to define what we are not. We don’t sell forklifts, parts or service or offer training as a “sideline.” We don’t offer twenty different types of OSHA training and we are not a “jack of all trades and master of none.” Our guiding principles are as follows:
1) Our company is guided by Christian principles and we follow the golden rule of treating our customers as we would like to be treated.
2) We believe in providing excellent training and products at fair prices.
3) Our customers are not just our partners, they are also our friends. We pledge to help them improve profitability through reducing potential injuries and driving down unnecessary damage.
Thank you for taking the time to learn more about our company, we very much look forward to working with you and your company. If we can assist you in any way please do not hesitate to contact us.
President, Forklift Training Systems